Applicants to the Ontario PGY3 FM/Emergency Medicine programs must meet the following criteria:
(A) Legal Status: Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident. Proof of citizenship must accompany your application. Any one of the following is acceptable:
- Photocopy of Birth Certificate issued by an authority in Canada with any photo ID or
- Photocopy of Canadian Passport or
- Photocopy of Canadian citizenship certificate, Record of Landing or
- Photocopy of Permanent Resident Card/Canadian Citizen Card.
(B) PG Enrolment: Currently enrolled as a PGY2 in a Canadian Family Medicine residency program (see notes 1, 2 & 3 below). US applicants must be Canadian Board certifiable and have applied to write the appropriate Canadian exams (LMCC Part 1/2 and the CFPC exam). They must be in an ACGME accredited program. They must be able to get CPSO and CMPA licensure. See "Notes" below.
(C) Source of MD: Graduate of Canadian, U.S., or International Medical school (with above requirements as well)
1. Off-cycle applicants (i.e. completing PGY2 year after June 30th) must declare the completion date of their PGY2 FM training in the application package or cover letter. While some programs are able admit residents off-cycle, others are not.
Off-cycle residents matched to a PGY3 FM Emergency Medicine position may practice during the period between completing PGY2 training and starting the PGY3 program, provided they receive their Independent Practice certificate from the CPSO.
2. Residents currently enrolled in an ACGME accredited Family Medicine residency programs in the U.S. who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents may apply to the PGY3 FM Emergency Medicine Match if they meet the CFPC requirements outlined on the CFPC website at: http://www.cfpc.ca/English/cfpc/education/examinations/family
Program Streams to CCFP/EM Program at Western
Urban - 5 positions/year
Regional - 2-3 positions/year
Please refer to the CaRMS webstie www.carms.ca for additional information in applying for the next match.
For more information on other enhanced skills PGY-3 positions offered at Western University, please refer to the PGY-3 section of the Department of Family Medicine Website http://www.familymedicineuwo.ca/PGY3programs.aspx